The investigative journalists at Átlátszó created a visualization of how the Hungarian media went to government and Fidesz-friendly oligarchs.
The entire, interactive infographic can be found here, with each title added, but it is impossible to embed here. (Somehow not surprised. Hungarian non-Fidesz media prefers coubs to gifs and hypes every single format that major platforms don’t support.)
Browse for yourself here
According to the data:
- In January 2018, the Fidesz media empire published 500 titles – ranging from teen magazines to TV channels. Two third were print papers, published by 22 publishers.
- They are owned by 14 individuals.
- Some were discontinued, like the country’s biggest and oldest daily, Népszabadság, that was shut down overnight, journalists weren’t allowed back in the buildings for their belongings, even the 5+ decades long archive disappeared.
- Others were bought by oligarchs, on generous loans by state-owned banks, such as TV2, a basket case of subservient incompetence and spineless propaganda. Its journalists left and the once strong commercial channels is now a butt of jokes. See for yourself why.
- Yet another set of “left-wing” channels were brought under Fidesz control, their owners made their deals – then moved their best political reporters into the night slot or let them leave.